Friday, February 18, 2011

FBFF: Body Image


It's that time of the week, lovely bloggers!  It's Friday, so it's FBFF time!

This week's questions have to deal with body image.  A great big thank you, as always, to the beautiful Katy of Modly Chic for putting this together!  And with no further ado...


1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed?

I don't know if my image of myself has necessarily changed, but I have become more aware of my body.  Having to pose in front of a camera and then look through photos and and make edits is a lot different than looking in the mirror.  I've been exposed to a new perspective of my body.  That being said, I've always taken pride in my body, and that hasn't changed.  If anything else, it's encouraged me to have a positive body image.  Women come in so many shapes, sizes, colors...you name it!  Seeing all the lovely ladies who put themselves out there in the fashion blogging world is really empowering.  We should all love the skin we were born in.

2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you
go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway?
 

I'm not super self-conscious of anything in particular, but I am aware of my flaws.  I'm a very open person, so I'm not afraid to talk about those flaws.  I have a crook in my nose, and that used to bother me when I was younger.  Then I realized that very few people have perfect noses, and I got over it.  Noses are just awkward in general.  I mean, that's where snot comes from.  I don't think it's supposed to be attractive.  I also deal with something I'm sure 95% of women deal with - cellulite and stretch marks.  But how many perfect butts do you see on the beach?  I don't see very many.  I just shop for bikinis and swimsuits in cuts that flatter me.  I think a lot of women make one of two mistakes: 1) caring too little, or 2) caring too much.  I'm proud of my body, but that doesn't mean you'll see me flaunting my g-string on the beach.  However, you also won't see me sporting guys swim trunks.  I think it's important to wear things that flatter our bodies and highlight our assets as opposed to concentrating on covering our flaws.  If you're only focusing on the negatives, you'll look and feel uncomfortable.

3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future
holds in the evolution of your body image?

I think that with age, I will only grow more confident.  It sounds cliche, but there are more important things in life than obsessing about how I look.  In the past five years or so, I've been on different kinds of medications for medical reasons that have induced either weight loss or gain, so I've yo-yoed quite a bit.  When I gained weight, I felt to heavy.  When I lost weight, I felt too thin.  Then I realized that my health is more important than a number on the scale.  It's a process of maturity.  I am treasured and loved by people who value me and think I'm beautiful, and, more importantly, I think I'm beautiful.  You have to love yourself.  It's easy to be your own worst critic, but we have to learn to be our own best praisers.

4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel
about the experience when you're having your picture taken? If you
choose not to post pictures of yourself, what prompted that decision?
 

Depending on our schedules, sometimes my husband, Caleb, takes my photos.  Other times, I use a good ol' self-timer and run and pose before the time runs out.  When I first started blogging a couple months ago, I felt kind of awkward posing in front of a camera.  It felt kind of self-indulgent.  Now, I'm much more comfortable, and I have a lot of fun with it.  Sometimes I probably get a little carried away!  Don't forget to smeyez!!

5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to
take to heart?

You're a beautiful, fierce person.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  Love yourself, and others will follow.


6 inclinations:

aurpera said...[Reply to comment]

Awesome answers. Especially answer no. 2. You pointed out right. Some women care too little and others care too much. The ironic thing is those who shouldn't bother much are all overly self-conscious while ones who need to take care of their body don't bother at all.

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@aurpera
Thanks so much!

That is often the case, huh? Oh, the irony...

Reddest Roar said...[Reply to comment]

Kudos to you, lady, for such an uplifting post. I'm bookmarking all you positive types!!

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@Mrs Bossa
Haha, thanks!!

Anjela said...[Reply to comment]

Great post! Completely agree with everything you said! At the end of the day, your body is the most incredible thing you'll ever have, so cherish it while it lasts!;)

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! I'm so glad our blog paths have crossed!:)
Your newest follower!

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@Anjela
Thanks so much for the support, Anjela!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...