Thursday, March 24, 2011

Reflections on a fashion journey


I truly believe that finding a personal style is a journey.  You don't roll out of bed one day with the makings of an icon.  Discovering your signature style is a process, and I'm a firm believer that this process should not be rushed.

I'll be 23 in May, and I'm happily enjoying experimenting with style and finding out what suits me and, most importantly, what I feel good in.  It's easy to blindly follow a trend season after season, but realizing you're personal style is more valuable than any season's biggest fad is priceless.

I honestly can't tell you if the runways are revealing that floral is in this season, but it will always be a winner with me.  I am discovering that I most comfortable in girly prints or pieces with feminine touches.  I love being a woman, and embracing my femininity is something I thoroughly enjoy.  Why not express this through my clothes?

That being said, I also love throwing in an unexpected piece to mix things up.  Today I realized that I had a pair of metallic tights that hadn't seen the light of day, so I decided they needed some sunshine.  Instead of safely mixing them with a simple black dress, I thought I'd mix these metallic wonders with a traditional, super girly piece that captures the whimsy of femininity that I love.

Did I get some strange stares?  You betcha.

But what fun is fashion without any risks?

Moreover, how boring would fashion be if we all just dressed to please each other?  It is so important to let fashion bring some joy into our own lives.  Dressing according to someone else's standards will never be fulfilling.

I still don't know if I think this outfit worked or not, but I enjoyed giving it a go.  The road to discovering a personal, signature style is often a bumpy one, but the bumps make the ride more fun.








blouse, necklace, ring - Forever 21
shorts - Vera Wang for Kohl's
tights - Candie's for Kohl's
boots - Mustang, via DSW

10 inclinations:

Kileen said...[Reply to comment]

you look GORGEOUS in these pictures and i'm loving that floral top on you!

and i agree the metallic tights are a fashion risk, but i really like them!

cute & little
check out my TIKKR watch giveaway!

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@kileen
Thanks, Kileen! You make me blush! :) I'm glad I went with the metallic tights...they were fun to wear!

laura said...[Reply to comment]

Those tights are da bomb!!! and I am in lurve with your boots!

hearts, laura ♥
the blog of worldly delights

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@laura
Haha, thanks Laura!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...[Reply to comment]

If anyone ever rocked metallic tights, you did. I don't think I could pull that off -- but your confidence really works it!

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@Natalie | The Bobby Pin
Thanks, Natalie! I'm glad I was able to pull them off!

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

It's so fun finding your own style. i love your metallic tights, i think they're great and I definitely agree with you about the floral feminine pieces. It's just so fun to wear pretty things like that sometimes.

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@Jaclyn
Yes it is! I'll still be wearing them when I'm 70. :)

Sherri said...[Reply to comment]

Lurve your boots. envy. You rocked the outfit! The floral top looks awesome on you. I took some risks (for me) this week and splashed color ALL over my office. I even wore blue tights ...so hey I'm loving it. I say BE YOUR Beautiful self!

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@Sherri @ Design2ShineAmen to that, Sherri!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...