Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bloggers do it better: All dressed in white

 

I love that Kristina of Pretty Shiny Sparkly started Bloggers Do It Better (BDIB).  It lets us fashion bloggers showcase just how fabulous we truly are, and it's a fantastic way to bring the blogging community together.

However, I was beyond intimidated when I found out that this week's challenge was to conquer the white trend.  I'm just about as porcelain as they come, and covering myself in white doesn't exactly excite me.  So I was super pleased when I read the rules and discover ivories, beiges, and other neutral colors were permissible...whew!

For pasties like me who love protecting their skin (love me some SPF) and opt out of bathing in UV rays, stark white isn't always the most flattering color.  Fortunately, I've discover ivory works better with my skin tone - I even chose an ivory wedding dress over a white one.  Since white isn't necessarily what I gravitate to, I chose to stay in my comfort zone and incorporate ivory in one of my favorite ways: lace.  I absolutely love the classic femininity of ivory lace!  It's so delicate and pretty.

The dress I chose to wear for BDIB is actually my going away dress from my wedding.  I've gotten SO much use out of this dress!  It's super easy to dress up or dress down, so it's super versatile.  I dressed it down today with a warm cardigan (the dress is sleeveless, and it's been a little chilly the past couple of days), over-the-knee socks, and oxfords.  I stayed within a creamy, neutral color palette, and I'm pleased with the way it turned out.  The combination might not be what I would typically pick out, but I feel that I did not have to sacrifice my sense of style or diverge from my aesthetic to achieve this look.  

I'm glad I was challenged to think outside the box closet.  And, best of all, there wasn't a single stain at the end of the day!





dress - American Rag, via Macy's
cardigan - Gap
socks - Kohl's
oxfords - Go Max, via DSW
purse - vintage Liz Claiborne, thrifted
necklace, ring - Forever 21

6 inclinations:

Still Blonde after all these YEARS said...[Reply to comment]

Liked the outfit esepcially the dress, not wild about the socks but probably the fact that I am over the hill...hahaha

Would love it, if you would stop by and see how a 45+ year old handles “White Out”—you might get a good chuckle anyway! See you there! http://stillblondeafteralltheseyears.com/2011/05/white-out-change-it-up-outfits-modeled-by-women-over-45/
The Chief Blonde

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@Still Blonde after all these YEARS Thanks! Over-the-knee socks aren't everyone's favorite, but I enjoy wearing them every now and then. But here's a little secret...I would have gone sockless, but my legs were a little stubbly! lol. I'll be sure to check your post out soon!

Monica said...[Reply to comment]

this outfit is so fabulous

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@Monica Thanks, Monica!

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

Cool that you paired this with brouges and knee high socks-gives it a nice vintage feel!

http://thriftyandshameless.blogspot.com

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@MissRockwell Thanks! That's what I was going for, so I'm glad I achieved it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...