Thursday, July 21, 2011

Everybody, Everywear: I love me some thrift!


There are a lot of blogger-rallying, participatory-style thing-a-ma-bobs out there, and I'm careful not to jump on the bandwagon of too many.  I don't ever want to feel like I have to link up or be super committed - I like to participate when I feel like it.  That being said, when I saw that the newest rendition of Everybody, Everywear was featuring thrifted items, I decided to join in on the fun.

You'll often find me wearing multiple secondhand items at once, and this outfit is a great demonstration of just that.  The shirt, belt, and shoes are all thrifted.  Now I could probably pull out a dozen pieces that are way more exciting than this little combo, but I don't think thrifting should necessarily always be a hunt for the outrageous or truly special.  Sometimes, ya just need some practical pieces.

The temperature here has been blazing over 100 degrees, and I just wanted to throw on something easy that would be comfortable in the elements.  This shirt worked out great because although it has longer sleeves, it's actually made of a really thin, breathable fabric, and the sleeves protected my sunburn-prone skin.  I fussed over a variety of pretty skirts I've scored at thrift stores, but they were all just too heavy for this weather, so I stuck to a simple pair of shorts.

I think people have this conception that, when you go thrifting, you have to find the best sequined or bedazzled treasure or the best vintage coat hiding amongst the racks, but I think it's great when you can find some simple, inexpensive pieces that blend seamlessly with the rest of your wardrobe.  Those finds can prove to be just as valuable - and they're sure to save you a lot of money!




shirt-  American Eagle, thrifted; shorts - Loft; shoes - Nine West, thrifted via Plato's Closet; belt - vintage, thrifted; necklace - Forever 21


Thrift | Everybody, Everywear

4 inclinations:

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...[Reply to comment]

This is so pretty!! Love it!

Rachel said...[Reply to comment]

Super cute! I love Plato's Closet!!

Jessica Marie said...[Reply to comment]

@Rachel Thanks! I like Plato's Closet, too! Sometimes you have to dig through lots of teeny-bopper stuff to get to the real treasures, but I enjoy the hunt!

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

I agree totally, I don't always buy "special items" while thrifting. Many times I will pick up just a solid colored belt or cute handbag. You did fantastic with this outift, it is super cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...